How to Prevent and Get Rid of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are no joke. They can infest your entire home before you know it. And getting rid of them is an absolute nightmare. They can last a year without feeding and can enter your home on luggage, furniture, or even clothes. Being informed about how to prevent them can save you a ton of time, money, and frustration in the future. And in the event that you do get bed bugs what do you do? Here’s a quick guide to bed bugs:
Bed Bug Prevention
Here are some steps you can take to prevent bed bugs from infecting your home in the first place.
- Check second-hand furniture for bed bugs before you bring it into your home. They may be living in the furniture; so it’s essential go do a thorough look through.
- Vacuum your home frequently to catch them before they become a problem.
- Cover box springs and mattresses with protective covers. These covers are made from plastic and will help prevent bugs from infecting your bed.
- Eliminate clutter in your home. This will reduce the amount of hiding spots for bed bugs.
- If you do your laundry at a Laundromat or other shared facility, be wary about picking up bugs. When transporting your laundry, use a plastic bag. After your items go through the dryer, immediately put them in your bag and do the folding at home. Dryers on high heat have the ability to kill bed bugs so you don’t want to expose your bug-free clothes.
- If you live in an apartment or other shared living situation, eliminate cracks and other holes that bugs can crawl through.
Getting Rid of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are pesky creatures. They’re extremely small and vigilant. If they happen upon your home, there are some things you can do to remove them.
- Wash your clothes, bedding, etc. Heat can kill bed bugs. Putting your items in the washer and dryer on high heat can kill bed bugs.
- For things that cannot be washed, put them in the freezer for a couple days. This can also kill any living bed bugs.
- Vacuum your mattress, box spring, carpet and all the other cracks and crevices that bed bugs could get into. This will help remove any eggs that have been laid.
- Use a cover to protect your mattress and box spring. This will prevent bugs from getting into it and laying eggs.
- Call a professional. They will have the equipment necessary to clear your home of bed bugs. It may give you some additional peace of mind knowing that someone trained is helping you remove the pests.
Unfortunately, homeowners insurance does not cover the costs associated with ridding bed bugs from your home. That’s why is best to try to prevent them from coming into your home. But often times, it may be impossible to stop bed bugs from entering. It may be a hassle, but being knowledgeable about bed bugs can be useful. Home insurance does help protect against other incidents, so it’s a good idea to talk to your insurance agent about coverage.
Talk to an Encharter agent at 888.754.8299 today!
Additional Resources:Read More