Be Prepared: Safe Grilling Tips and your MA Home Insurance
Fourth of July is right around the corner and that means that if you haven’t started grilling yet, you probably will this weekend! And while grilling is one of the healthiest and tastiest ways to cook, it can be very dangerous. Cooking, both on the grill and in the kitchen, is the leading cause of house fires so its very important to make sure that you are practicing both safe grilling habits and that your Massachusetts Home Insurance is covering you should there be damage caused by a fire.
Before you even head out to fill up the propane tank or buy more charcoal, it’s important to take a second to review these grilling safety tips – some common sense and some maybe not so much. I think it’s safe to say that most of us were taught how to grill by a parent or sibling so some safety tips were likely shared along the way but, just in case (and as a refresher for those of you who “already know this stuff”), here is a quick refresher:
- Whenever you are using a grill that you have never used before, or one that you haven’t used in a long time, you should always read the owner’s manual.
- Check the connection between the tank and the fuel line to make sure that it is not leaking – do NOT use a match to check for leaks!
- Only use your grill outside, carbon monoxide is a fume that is released when grilling so when you use a grill in a garage, house, tent or any other enclosed area, you risk being poisoned – so don’t!
- Grill in well-ventilated spaces and on a level, stable surface – do not move the grill once it is lit.
- Move the grill at least 10 ft from your house, furniture and any plants.
- Always stay outside with the grill once it is lit – it’s important to keep pets and children away from the grill until it is completely cool.
- Do not cover the grill until it is completely cool as well.
- Keep fire extinguishing aids close by: a fire extinguisher – make sure it is the proper type, baking soda – for a grease fire, or a garden hose and bucket of sand.
So while you are daydreaming of firing up the grill to cook some of your favorite foods, make sure that you are ready to take the right safety measures first…and making sure that your Massachusetts Insurance is covering you, and all of your property, in the event of a fire, is one of the first steps.
Are you covered?Read More