condo home renters insurance

Condo, Home, or Renters Insurance?

What insurance do you need to protect your home? Your living situation can affect your insurance. Living in a house, condo, or apartment requires different types of insurance coverage. When choosing coverage for your home, make sure that it is designed to help protect you and your belongings. Here is what you need to know to help you decide which coverage is right for you. Is it condo, home, or renters insurance?


Condo Insurance

Condo insurance is for those who own a condo unit. Typically, it covers various things such as:

  • Liability coverage
  • Electrical wiring
  • Appliances
  • Cabinetry
  • Personal possessions
  • Wallpaper and carpeting
  • Improvements or upgrades you make

Your condo association may provide some coverage, but it is important to make sure you are covered. The coverage by the condo association may not be enough to cover your home and your belongings. Your condo insurance policy can be influenced by the coverage provided by the condo association, the belongings you own, and potentially your state’s own insurance regulations. It’s always a good idea to check with your insurance agent before you decide what policy you want.


Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners insurance are for those who own a house. A Home insurance policy can cover things including:

  • Your home’s structure
  • Replacement Costs
  • Personal Property
  • Additional Living Expenses
  • Property

Most states do not require homeowners to get an insurance policy. However, most mortgage companies do require coverage. Before buying homeowners insurance, double check the conditions of your mortgage to ensure that you comply. There are other additional coverages that may be helpful as a homeowner, such as flood or earthquake insurance. There are numerous factors that can affect your homeowners insurance coverage, including pets, pools or trampolines, your belongings, your home’s location, etc. Each home is different, so you home insurance policy should suit your needs.


Renters Insurance

If you rent, then you should consider getting a renters insurance policy. This type of coverage can include coverage for: damage to your apartment or rental home, damage to your possessions, and liability damages. More specific examples may include:

  • Fire and smoke
  • Theft
  • Pipe freezing
  • Water leakage

While your landlord may have their own policy, if something happens, your belongings will not be protected. Landlord insurance only covers the actual building. Renters insurance is there to help protect your belongings. College students may also be interested in this type of protection as they move into dorms or apartments.


These are just three coverages you should consider as you consider your living situation. Condo, home, and renters insurance are all there to help protect you again possible perils. You can never predict the future, so it’s best to be prepared! Talk to your insurance agent about your specific needs. They can help you figure out the coverage best suited for your life. You can also ask about certain coverages or any concerns you may have. And don’t forget to ask about any discounts that you could qualify for!


Talk to an Encharter agent today at 888.754.8299! Ask about a home, condo, or renters insurance policy!

Read More