888.754.8299 or 413.475.7283
insurance contractor

What Insurance Does a Contractor Need?

Doing independent contract work is a popular occupation for many people. Electricians, plumbers, and HVAC contractors, janitorial, and lawn care are all professions that should have insurance coverage. Even though you may work for yourself, sometimes accidents happen. Your team members will also appreciate having coverage. If an accident occurred, and you did not have coverage, you could be paying a lot of money out of pocket. These are some types of coverage you should consider as a contractor:

Business Liability

Liability coverage is one of the more essential coverages you should have as a contractor. This type of coverage can help protect you against claims and lawsuits resulting from bodily injury or property damage. Claims and lawsuits can be costly, so business liability will help you financially.

Property Insurance

As a contractor, you may find yourself owning inventory or housing other valuables on your property. One way to help cover that is through property insurance. This will help cover your actual building, as well as the contents. Just keep in mind that if you have essential pieces of machinery or equipment, you may want to get a specialized equipment coverage to help protect that.

Commercial Auto Insurance

Having coverage for your vehicle is important. You never know what is going to happen on the road. Commercial auto insurance is similar to your personal auto insurance, but it helps to protect your business vehicle. Commercial auto insurance can vary from policy to policy. But, it can cover things such as medical expenses, damage to your vehicle and more. Learn more about commercial auto insurance here,

Workers Comp

Often, contractor jobs can be more physically intensive than some other professions. When you’re constantly moving around on the job, there is a chance of getting injured. Workers comp is there to help protect your employees. It is there in case one of your employees gets hurt or sick on the job. This coverage is often mandatory for businesses, but talk to your agent about it. They can help you make sure that your employees are adequately covered.

Excess Liability

You should also consider having excess liability coverage. This coverage is there as a safety net. Sometimes referred to as an umbrella policy, it can help extend your coverage. For instance, if a claim or lawsuit exceeds your coverage limits, then excess liability kicks in. It extends your coverage limits beyond the primary policy’s limits. Think of excess liability as some peace of mind. You never know what’s going to happen while you’re out on a job. That’s what this coverage is for.


The best way to make sure that your contracting business is insured adequately is to talk to your insurance agent. This as your actual profession, the industry, and the area you work in can affect your insurance. You may find yourself needing more or less coverage than you initially thought. Hopefully, you will not need to use your insurance coverages, but they are there for when the unexpected happens.

Call an Encharter agent today at 888.754.8299 to talk about insurance for a contractor!

Read More