This form will help you to better understand what is covered or partially covered on your automobile policy. For information at your finger tips, download our Auto Insurance Coverage Tip Sheet. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding any aspect of your policy.

Who Do I Need To List As A Driver On My Auto Insurance Policy?

YYou must list ALL household members on your automobile policy, as well as any licensed individual who regularly operates the vehicle. Each operator must also be listed correctly as the principal or occasional operator on each vehicle. Be aware that the insurance company can deny your claim if this information is incorrect, even if there is no intent to deceive the company! This can be true for instance where a household member is not listed, drives your vehicle and gets into an accident.

What Limits Do You Recommend I Maintain On My Policy?

There are many limits available that we can customize to suit your needs. However, to ensure proper coverage, we suggest the following limits:

  • Optional Bodily Injury to Others: $250,000 per person/ $500,000 per accident
  • Property Damage: $250,000 per accident
  • Injury Caused by Uninsured Motorist: $250,000 per person/ $500,000 per accident
  • Injury Caused by Under-insured Motorist: $250,000 per person/ $500,000 per accident
Should I Carry Collision And/Or Comprehensive Coverage?

These coverages pay for damage to your vehicle in the event of a loss. Collision coverage pays for damage to your car if an accident with another vehicle occurs. Comprehensive covers all physical damage to your vehicle, except damage caused by a collision. It pays for damage to or loss of your automobile from causes other than accidents, including theft, fire, hail, vandalism, and flood. Unless the value of your vehicle is low, these coverages are highly recommended. If you’re interested in additional liability protection, talk with your agent about an umbrella insurance policy.

What Is Umbrella Insurance? Should I Add An Umbrella Insurance Policy?

This coverage provides protection in the event of a lawsuit or scenario where the money you have to pay out exceeds the coverage on your basic auto insurance policy. One example is a multi-car accident. If there were medical payments for multiple individuals, or if the body or property damage exceeded your basic coverage, you would pay out of pocket for the remaining balance. An umbrella insurance policy, which typically starts at a $1 million limit, would bail you out of your out-of-pocket expenses.

If I Am “Not At Fault” In An Accident, Do I Still Have To Cover My Deductible?

A “not-at-fault” accident would mean that your driving behavior was less than 50% responsible for the accident. Pre-defined situations are set by each state to determine fault.

To protect yourself, a waiver of deductible can be added to your collision coverage to prevent you from having to cover the deductible in the event of a loss, as long as there is another identifiable driver that is deemed to be at-fault. When discussing the limits on your auto insurance policy, be sure to ask your agent if you have this coverage.

Am I Covered If I Rent A Vehicle While On Vacation?

As long as you are in the U.S., its territories, or Canada, the coverages on your auto policy can be used when renting a vehicle.  This means that as long as you have the corresponding coverages on your auto policy, they will cover you when driving a rented vehicle for bodily injury, property damage to others and damage to the rental vehicle.  It will also cover any drivers listed on the rental agreement that are also listed on your auto policy.

However, some rental companies have specific requirements that your coverage must meet in order to be deemed sufficient. This can vary by state and company. Providing the rental company with your coverage selections page can clear up any confusion before you elect to forgo coverage and drive off the lot.

Please note that in the event of a loss, you may be responsible for the replacement cost of the vehicle, lost income the rental agency incurs while the vehicle is unable to be used, and/or depreciated value. Your auto policy does not provide coverage for these items. Drivers renting a vehicle can look into loss of use insurance. It covers drivers in the event that a rental car is damaged and the rental company needs to send it to a garage for repairs, resulting in a loss of money. You should check with your credit card company as some of them include coverage for these items or consider taking the insurance offered by the rental company if you are concerned about these coverages.

For travel outside of the U.S., drivers will need to purchase rental car insurance in order to be protected.

Don’t just assume your auto policy coverage is sufficient. Talk with your agent to ensure proper limits and determine if purchasing additional coverage is right for you.

If I Lose The Use Of My Auto, Will The Insurance Company Pay To Rent Me One?

If you have Substitute Transportation and cannot use your vehicle because of a covered collision or comprehensive loss, the company will pay the limit that you chose for up to 30 days or until you regain use of your auto towards a rental car. The amount that the company will pay toward your rental varies based on the coverage you choose.

Are There Any Discounts That I Am Eligible For?

There are many options available. Ask you agent about these and others!

  • Homeowner’s Insurance Companion Credit
  • Multi-Car Discount
  • Safe Driver Discount
  • Low Mileage Discount
  • Paid in Full Discount
  • Anti-Theft Device Discount
  • Mature Driver Discount
  • Good Student Discount
  • Student Away at School Discount
  • Property Insurance Discount
  • Motor Club Discount
  • Advanced Quote Discount
  • Advanced Issue Discount
  • Advanced Driver Training/Accident Prevention Course Discount
  • Tenure Discount


For more questions & information…