888.754.8299 or 413.475.7283
commercial license plates

Do I Need Commercial Plates?

While most people are familiar with the requirements of having a personal vehicle, but those that are used for business use have different requirements. What type of license plates do you need for your business vehicle? Do I need commercial license plates?

Commercial Plates vs. Regular Plates

What’s the difference between a commercial plate and regular plates? Commercial license plates are used to help differentiate vehicles used for business purposes from those used for personal use. Depending on what state you are in, your state may require you to get a commercial plate. Meanwhile, regular plates are for your personal vehicles.

Call us at 413.475.283
Complete our online quote form today
Commercial Plates

When Do You Need Commercial Plates?

Regardless if commercial auto insurance or not, you may find yourself wondering if you need commercial plates for your vehicle. While it may vary by state, these are some guidelines you should look for:

  •  If you have signage or lettering on your vehicle, then you will need commercial plates. Even if you have magnetic lettering that can be removed, you’ll need commercial plates.
  • You may also need commercial plates if your vehicle exceeds personal gross weight limits. Check with full restrictions based on your state, but even if you have a large truck for personal use, at a certain weight, it requires commercial plates.
  • There are different types of plates available depending on your industry and location. Talk to your insurance agent about your business. They can help you figure out what your business needs to help it be successful!

Commercial License Plates in Massachusetts

In Massachusetts, the commercial plate you need will depend on the industry and trade that you are in.  For example, a farmer can get a special farmer plate while a person who does repairs will have a repairer plate. Talking to an agent or inquiring at the DMV will help you get the appropriate plate for your business. To get more information about MA commercial plates, check out the FAQ by the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Call us at 413.475.283
Complete our online quote form today

Commercial Plates for Delivery Drivers

Depending on what type of delivery, and the industry you are in, you may need commercial plates. For instance, if you are a restaurant doing meal delivery, you may not need to have specialized plates. Learn more about insurance for delivery drivers here.

However, if your business owns tractor-trailers for delivery, you’ll likely need commercial plates. Another situation to consider is the lettering on your vehicle. Does your business vehicle have your company name on it? Often, if your business uses a delivery service or company for shipments, they will have the proper insurance and plates.

Auto Insurance for Vehicles with Commercial License Plates

If you’re a business owner, chances are you will find yourself needing Commercial Vehicle Insurance. While a basic business insurance policy can give you the coverage you need for lawsuits, employee injuries, unexpected losses, and more, it does not provide coverage for vehicles you use for business. Your basic business insurance policy wouldn’t cover charges that may come with an accident. Commercial vehicle insurance can protect your business and your vehicles in the case of an accident, especially if another driver or someone else’s property is involved.

If you have questions about which plates you need, give our agents a call! It is better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to protecting your business. Our agents can take the time to review your policy and make sure your commercial car insurance covers the needs of you and your business. They can share coverage options and even discounts with you, helping you get the best coverage and an affordable price.

Chat with an Encharter agent today: 413.475.7283!
Complete our online quote form


Read More