Impress Your Guests this Thanksgiving
First let me start by saying that I am not a chef and I will not be hosting Thanksgiving this year. Last year my grandmother left me in charge of checking the croissants and barely trusted me with that so there is no turkey cooking in my near future. If this year is your first year hosting Thanksgiving, don’t worry! I am here to help (even though I wouldn’t actually be able to help in the kitchen) with some great ideas for relatively easy dishes to impress your guests. It’s good to have a backup plan if you aren’t just ordering from your favorite CT restaurant, right? Leaving the classic dishes behind for these versions will definitely have your guests thinking they are a restaurant.
- Apple Cider-Braised Turkey Drumsticks: If you want to stray from the usual full turkey cooking and do something unique, this is perfect.
- Green Beans Two Ways: Maybe sautéing those in butter and garlic takes a little more effort than a typical boil, but it’s worth it. Let them simmer in chicken broth and add some fresh herbs and citrus to half.
- Whole Roasted Carrots with Garlic: Think about it, you will save time cutting and they will taste much more upscale.
- Potato Puree: Use some heavy cream and garlic for more flavor.
- Puff Pastry Apple Pie: This may sound tricky, but if you use a store-bought puff pastry it’s not bad. Everyone is expecting apple pie, why not throw them a curve ball?
My last idea for your first Thanksgiving dinner? Pot luck style! This way you get to experiment and make some dishes, but the pressure isn’t all on you. Everyone wins when you each have to make one or two dishes. As your insurance agent, I do have to remind you about the importance of home insurance at a time like this. When you have several dishes cooking, while in the other room setting the table or upstairs getting dressed, kitchen fires and other accidents become more likely to happen. Having the right home insurance coverage in case of something like a fire can help reduce some stress that will come with it right during the holidays. Before you open your home this Thanksgiving, give our agents a call and check up on your Connecticut home insurance.Read More