multi-family homeschooling

Multi-Family Homeschooling in MA Insurance Concerns

Usually, this time of year, students are gearing up to head back to school. But this year looks a little different than usual. Because of the effects of COVID-19, not all Massachusetts schools will be opening for students to return. Many schools are holding classes virtually, or are adopting a hybrid model for e-learning. Remote learning is a new challenge and many families are opting for a multi-family homeschool to help combat some of these challenges. Before committing to a multi-family homeschooling style, here’s what you need to know about your MA homeowners insurance.

Homeschooling Business in MA

If you are charging for your “teaching” or hosting these students, then this may be considered a business venture, or a daycare. And in that case, you may need additional coverage outside of your usual home insurance. For example, a child is injured on your premises, and your multi-family homeschooling venture is considered a business, then your homeowners may not cover those costs. Keep in mind that in Massachusetts, you may need an Early Education and Care (EEC) license to have an in-home child care business.

Talk to your agent about the limitations of your MA homeowners insurance. How many children will you be watching? Should you get business insurance? It depends on your situation. You should also consider getting workers comp if you have other hired help or employees.

Call us at 413.475.7283
Complete our online quote form today

What If a Child Gets Sick?

A concern that many parents face is whether a child under their watch gets sick. Even without schools opening, there could be a chance of catching an illness. What if a child gets sick and their parents file a lawsuit against you? Your homeowners insurance may have an exclusion for communicable diseases, and you could be facing a large financial burden. Ask your agent about your home insurance coverage limits and discuss what’s excluded in your coverage.

Auto Insurance for Car Pooling

Will you be using your car to transport children to and from your home? Are you taking children on field trips or outings? Depending on the usage and whether you are charging for services, you may need a commercial auto insurance policy. Commercial auto insurance is similar to your personal auto insurance coverage, but it covers vehicles used for business purposes. Even if you are not charging for carpooling or transportation services, talk to your MA insurance agent about your current policy. Discuss your coverage limits and whether you need to add additional coverage because of increased usage.

Call us at 413.475.7283
Complete our online quote form today

Cyber Insurance and Being Safe Online

You can ask your agent about cyber insurance coverage if you are dealing with an exchange of money. The last thing you want is a cyber attack to affect your homeschooling ventures. Especially since e-learning is so prevalent now, it’s important to keep everyone safe digitally as well. Use our handy cybersecurity checklist to help protect you and the students this upcoming school year!

Umbrella Coverage for Homeschooling

Sometimes, you can’t predict what’s going to happen. As we’ve seen in the past few months with COVID-19, things are constantly changing. Umbrella insurance is another way to add some additional coverage and peace of mind. It’s there to extend your coverage on existing policies. Ask your insurance agent about what additional risks there are to homeschooling in MA and where the gaps in coverage are. 

Before you set off on your multi-family homeschooling venture, talk to an Encharter agent. As local agents, we are here to help you navigate these difficult times. We can help you find the right coverage for group homeschooling in Massachusetts. If you have any insurance questions or concerns about homeschooling this upcoming school year, give us a call!

Chat with an Encharter agent today about homeschooling this fall:
Complete our online quote form

Read More