When you make the decision to purchase a home, you’re deciding on one of the biggest investments you can make. Proper coverage on your insurance policy will ensure that your possessions and your family are protected from loss in Connecticut. Agents at Encharter Insurance can tailor a homeowners policy to reflect your unique and different needs.
Some important homeowners insurance coverages to consider including in your policy may be:
- Structure of your home
- Replacement costs
- Liability protection
- Additional living expenses
- Personal possessions (up to a set limit)
While homeowners insurance is not required by law in CT, many mortgage companies require a policy. However, coverage for your home can give you peace of mind, so even if you don’t have a mortgage, getting a policy is a good idea! Below, you can find the typical recommendations for an insurance policy:
- 100% of the Replacement Cost Value
- Liability: $1,000,000
- Medical Payments: $5,000
Whether you’re new to Connecticut, or you were born-and-raised in the state, test your knowledge with these fun facts:
- It is the 4th most densely populated state and takes up 5,543 square miles of the United States.
- According to a 2012 Government census, 68.9% of the state’s residents own a home. The median value of a Connecticut home was $293,100.
- The state is home to many inventions such as the ice-making machine, pay phone, frisbee and color television.
- It is known as the Insurance State, earning this reputation over 180 years ago initially with marine insurance.
If you’re looking for extra coverage to protect your home, talk to your insurance agent about the following:
- Guaranteed Building Replacement Coverage
- Personal Property Replacement Cost
- Ordinance or Law Coverage
- Personal Injury Protection
- Identity Fraud Expense Coverage
- Water Back-up and Sump Pump Overflow
- Food Spoilage
- Lock Replacement
Additionally, supplemental policies can be added to your insurance policy to protect your family and valuables. Some examples include:
- Animal Liability (liability issues due to household pets)
- Valuable Articles/Floater policies
- Earthquake or Flood policies
Another example of a supplemental policy you may want to add is an Umbrella policy. This can provide you with additional liability coverage if your liability were ever to exceed your limits. Talk to an agent to see if this policy is something that you may need.
In order to get the most accurate home insurance quote from one of Encharter Insurance’s agents, be sure to have the following on hand:
- Details of any homeowner’s losses from the past 6 years
- Year the home was built
- Updates to the home’s heating, plumbing or electrical systems and to the roof
We understand that protecting your investment comes with a cost. Ask our agents about these discounts and whether they apply to your policy!
- New Home Discount
- New Buyer Discount
- Safe Home Discount
- Protective Device Discount
- Loss Free Credit
- Paid in Full Discount
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Non Smokers Discount
- eDocument Delivery Discount
- Early Shopper Discount
- Advanced Issue Discount
- New Roof Discount
- Hurricane Loss Mitigation Discount
Call Encharter Insurance today at 888.754.8299 to get a quote on home insurance in Connecticut or use our email form and contact us today!