Riding a dirt bike or ATV, or owning any off road vehicle, can lead to adventurous trails and fun memories. You should know you have the right coverage in the event of an accident, prior to hitting the open road. If your vehicle is ever damaged or stolen, having Connecticut off-road vehicle insurance can protect you. Knowing you are safe from harm will give you the peace of mind you need to enjoy the trails.
If you plan to participate in a race, or use your ATV compatibly, you should talk to an agent about your specific situation. A standard off-road vehicle policy will not accept racing with your vehicle. Getting the proper insurance for your ATV is just like getting the right coverage for your auto policy – easy! You should know what off-road vehicle policies include before you purchase one. Here are some tips and facts about insuring ATVs:
- It covers other equipment, such as trailers and coverage for after market parts if you want to jazz up your ATV or snowmobile.
- Medical payments coverage is an option that will pay for medical care you receive as a result of an off road vehicle accident.
- Off-Road Vehicle insurance includes ATVs, dirt bikes, dune buggies, snowmobiles, golf carts, and more!
- You can also add trailer coverage if you use a trailer to transport your vehicle.
- Liability coverage will cover damage for accidents involving another vehicle, such as third party injuries or property damage.
- Collision coverage will cover your off-road vehicle in the event of damage caused by other vehicle, a tree, rock, pole – regardless of whose fault it may be.
- If someone hits you and they don’t have the proper coverage, your uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage will protect you.
- It covers safety apparel for damage to clothing (includes goggles and helmets).
- Comprehensive coverage (sometimes called other than collision coverage) will cover in the event of fire, theft, vandalism, falling object, or if you hit an animal.
Ask about potential CT discounts you may be eligible for when talking with an agent. By bundling your off-road policy with your auto or motorcycle policy, you can save money. Possible discounts for you are:
- Loss free
- Great driving record
- Safety course
- Alarm system
How well do you know the state you live in? Did you know these fun facts about Connecticut?
- It is home to the first hamburger, Polaroid camera, colored television and helicopter.
- The Hartford Courant is the country’s oldest newspaper started in 1764. It continues to be published and is older than the country itself!
- West Hartford is the birthplace of Noah Webster, the author of the first American English dictionary which was published in 1807.
We highly recommend having the proper insurance for your off-road vehicle, even if specific coverage may not be required in your state. You may want to consider even more coverage, depending on what type of vehicle you have. If your liability coverage were to exceed its limits, having an umbrella policy would keep you protected.
There are some general rules of thumb when it comes to owning and riding ATVs. Rules that not only are crucial to obtain, but for your own safety! Here’s what to know about riding off-road vehicles:
- Every rider must wear a helmet.
- Every ATV must be registered.
- ATV use on paved roads or public ways is prohibited (except to cross these roads).
- No ATV can be operated without a lighted headlight and taillight between sunset and sunrise.
- If a driver is under the age of 14 years old, they must be: over 10 years old, participating in a special event, or supervised by an adult on their parents’ land.
- If a driver is between the ages of 12-14 years old, they must be supervised by an adult over 18 years of age.
Regardless if you own a dirt bike, ATV, side-by-side or 4WD, our agents can assist you in finding the best policy for you. Having the proper coverage, no matter what type of vehicle you are driving, is crucial before you hit the road. Accidents can happen, and it’s important to be as prepared and safe as you can. Don’t pay out-of-pocket for any damages that may be done – get Connecticut off-road vehicle insurance. Let the agents help get you the protection you need.
Call our Encharter agents to at 888.754.8299 or use our contact form above to protect your ATV with the right quote!