Owning an off road vehicle, such as a dirt bike or ATV, can be fun and adventurous. Before you hit the road for a ride, you should be certain you are protected in case of an accident. Having Massachusetts off-road vehicle insurance can protect you in the event your vehicle is stolen or damaged. You will be able to have a lot more fun on the trails knowing you are safe from harm.
In most circumstances, racing with off-road vehicles is not acceptable on a standard ORV policy, so discuss your specific criteria with an agent. Filing a claim for an ATV is just as easy as filling out one for your auto policy. Before getting off-road vehicle insurance, you should be well educated on what that type of policy includes. Here are some facts and tips when insuring an off-road vehicle:
- All ATVs, dirt bikes, dune buggies, snowmobiles, golf carts are included.
- Safety apparel damage (such as goggles and helmets) is included.
- Other equipment (such as trailers and parts) are covered.
- Medical payments coverage will pay for medical care as a result of an accident.
- Liability coverage will cover damage involving another vehicle.
- Collision coverage will protect you due to damage by other vehicle/tree/pole.
- Comprehensive coverage will cover for fire/theft/vandalism/falling objects.
- Uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage will protect you from those without insurance.
- Trailer coverage covers your trailer while transporting your ORV.
While talking to an agent, ask about potential discounts you may be eligible for. You can save money by bundling your off-road policy with your MA auto or motorcycle insurance policy. Possible discounts on your policy are:
- Safety Course
- Alarm system
- Loss free
- Great driving record
How well do you know the state you live in? Did you know these fun facts about Massachusetts?
- The first Dunkin Donuts was opened in Quincy in 1950 and founded by a man named William Rosenberg.
- The official state dog became the Boston terrier in 1979. A cross between the English bulldog and English terrier – the Boston terrier was the first “purebred” dog developed in America.
- Great Barrington was one of the first communities in the world to have electric streetlights.
Specific coverage for your vehicle type may not be required in your state, but we highly recommend having the proper insurance for your off-road vehicle. Depending on your type of off-road vehicle, you may consider even more coverage. Having an umbrella policy can protect you if your liability were to exceed your policy limits.
In MA, there are a few laws regarding ATVs. Laws that not only are crucial to follow, but for your own safety too! Here’s what to know about riding off-road vehicles:
- Every rider must wear a helmet.
- Every ATV must be registered.
- ATV use on paved roads or public ways is prohibited (except to cross these roads).
- No ATV can be operated without a lighted headlight and taillight between sunset and sunrise.
- If a driver is between the ages of 12-14 years old, they must be supervised by an adult over 18 years of age.
- If a driver is under the age of 14 years old, they must be: over 10 years old, participating in a special event, or supervised by an adult on their parents’ land.
Our agents can assist you with insurance for your dirt bike, ATV, side-by-side or 4WD. No matter what you are riding, having the proper coverage before you hit the road is crucial to your safety. Accidents and damages can happen, and it’s important to be as prepared as you can. Having the off-road vehicle insurance you need in Massachusetts can keep you from paying out of pocket for any damages that need to be replaced. Protect your possessions and let an agent help you get the protection you need.
Call our Encharter agents to at 888.754.8299 or use our contact form above to protect your ORV with the right quote!