There is nothing better than traveling with friends and family, especially in an RV! With road trip travel comes responsibility, even if you are just driving across the state. It is easy to protect yourself and your loved ones while away from your home. You will need more than just your basic home and auto policies since your RV will double as both a home and a vehicle while you’re away. Having Connecticut RV insurance can give you the protection you need while on the open road. You never know what might happen, and having coverage for your passengers and belongings will give you the peace of mind you need to enjoy your trip.

You should be certain you have the right coverage for your new vehicle before hitting the road. Sometimes, your RV can be added as a vehicle to your existing auto policy, but other times your insurance company will require separate coverage. Similar to your auto insurance, your RV insurance will give you liability, property damage and physical damage protection. When purchasing RV coverage, here are a few differences you should know:

  • Collision coverage will cover damages from accidents that may occur with your RV.
  • Comprehensive coverage would protect your RV if it were vandalized or if a branch were to fall on it while parked.
  • “Permanently installed” items, such as a radio that are damaged or stolen from your RV are covered under your comprehensive coverage, subject to your deductible.
  • Physical damage to an RV is rated on the cost of the new RV. Since some can cost in excess of $100,000, it’s crucial to check with an agent to insure a high enough value.
  • Your personal items are not covered under your RV insurance if it were to be broken into while parked. In this case, your homeowners insurance policy would protect your items, subject to a deductible.

It’s important to keep your agent updated with any changes that may occur with your RV (or anything else you have insurance for). If something were to change with your CT Recreational Vehicle policy, here are some questions to ask yourself:

  • Where is my RV parked? Is its location going to change?
  • Who is the main driver of the RV? Do you need to add an addition driver?
  • Making sure there is no gap in your coverage will help keep you protected, so update your agent with any news!

How well do you know the state you live in? Did you know these fun facts?

  • The state is named after the Connecticut River, which is the largest river in New England.
  • The word “Connecticut” is derived from the Mohegan Indian word “Quinnehtukqut” meaning “long river place” or “beside the long tidal river”.
  • The state’s nickname is the “Constitution State”. It was given this name by the General Assembly in 1959 due to its great measure of political independence.

Some issues may arise when you are not traveling and your RV is parked for a long time. At this point, your insurance company may want to insure your RV as a second home, to provide enough coverage for the things that may occur when it is idle. For example, if your semi-permanent deck was damaged or if someone were to fall in or around your RV. Having the added liability and personal property coverage will protect you in the long run.

Being prepared can give you the peace of mind to fully experience your trips. While traveling, here are some things to keep in mind regarding your RV insurance:

  • In the event of an accident, having collision coverage can help repair your RV from most damages, from when the car was in motion, and comprehensive coverage can repair your RV from most theft or vandalism.
  • If you carry a high deductible on your home insurance, you may not want to place a claim for any personal property that is damaged inside your RV. You can opt to add personal property coverage to your RV policy, which would offer you a lower deductible.
  • If you own a motor home, make sure you carry high limits of liability coverage for bodily injury to others as well as bodily injury caused by an uninsured motorist. If you own a camper, the liability comes from the vehicle towing it.

Let us help find you the best protection for your RV and a policy that fits your travel needs. Even if you use it seasonally, talking to an agent to insure your pop-up or motor home can save you from paying out of pocket for any unexpected damages that may occur. Special coverage for any custom parts or equipment you have, or specialized towing and roadside assistance is available as well. An umbrella policy may not be able to help you avoid those unexpected events, but it can give you the liability you need to move past them. Your RV was a big investment, and you should keep it in great condition.

Call our Encharter agents to at 888.754.8299 or use our contact form above to protect your CT recreational vehicle with the right quote!

Related Articles: