What do I do if I get into an Accident?
If you find yourself in the aftermath of an accident, big or small, it’s important to know what to do. After even a minor accident, it may be difficult to remember what critical actions should follow. Here are some key steps to help keep things moving smoothly:
- Stay calm and make sure that you pull over to a safe place if you can;
- Put your hazard lights on;
- Check for injuries, both on yourself and other passengers in your car;
- Call 9-1-1: notify the police and let them know if you will need an ambulance;
- If another car is involved, exchange contact and insurance information;
- Notify your insurance agent;
- If you have a camera and it is safe to take pictures, take pictures;
- If there are any witnesses, get their contact information;
- Fill out an accident report.
Note: To be prepared, it is a good idea to keep a disposable camera (if you don’t have a camera on your phone or you don’t have your phone on you), pen and paper, and portable cell phone charger in the glove box. Especially if you are traveling in unfamiliar territory, you won’t want to deal with a dead cell phone in an emergency.
If you have been in a car accident recently or have any questions about what to do if you get into an accident, call your local Encharter agent today! Also, if you have questions about your Massachusetts or Connecticut auto insurance, we’d like to help!
Call us at 888-865-1244, visit us online or stop into one of our Connecticut or Massachusetts office locations. And now, you can find us on Twitter© and Facebook©!
At Encharter, “It’s all about protecting you!”Read More